The Hartford Public High School Museum & Archive
Please Visit the History Page.
NOTABLE ALUMNI OF HPHS
Please go to the Alumni Page, scroll down and click on "Notable Alumni."
* * * * * * * *
1883 Desk & Bench
An extra set of these antique items from the Hopkins St. HPHS is available. Suggested donation to the HPHS Archive Fund: $75.
Copies of the 300th Anniversary catalog are also
available. This catalog is a resource for HPHS history:
photographs, faculty, index of alumni from 1848 to 1941 (general and by
graduating class), statistics, recipients of prizes, and much
more. 650 pages.
Please email for the Desk & Bench and the Catalog: <email@example.com>
The Stuart Munro-Lenox replica George Washington
is on display in the school's
The HPHS Museum & Archive is managed by
volunteers. All restoration and conservation work is made possible
HPHS Museum/Law & Government Academy, 55 Forest Street, Hartford, CT 06105.
The HPHS Alumni Association, incorporated by the Connecticut General Assembly (state legislature) in 1889, is a tax-exempt 501(c) 3 account.
ENDANGERED TREE ON HPHS CAMPUS
On the front lawn of the school’s campus there were several trees which harkened back to the days when Nook Farm was a unique neighborhood, home to Mark Twain, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Charles Dudley Warner. Two European Copper Beeches (fagus sylvatica 'atropunicea') were prominent features of the landscape.
These two trees suffered
greatly during the renovations to the school in 2006-2008.
The city did not take any steps to preserve these trees, and the
one closest to the new main entrance had limbs and roots shorn off to
make way for the entrance arcade. Friends
of HPHS raised $700 in 2007 to provide an initial treatment for the
beeches. Both trees were
examined and documented by the Connecticut Botanical Society in
September, 2008, but there were no follow-up treatments done by the
city, and the beech closest to the arcade was deemed to be a danger to
pedestrians. The trunk had a
girth of 14 feet, 9 inches, and it was 68 feet high. It was the
52nd largest European Copper Beech in
The remaining European
Copper Beech should be preserved, because it is representative of the
city's landscape patrimony and historically linked to the Nook Farm
neighborhood and to the school. It is located on the north of the
lawn, close to the Mark Twain facility and the
The Connecticut Historical Society has an exhibit called “New Life for Connecticut Trees,” which runs from November 1, 2011 to March 17, 2012. They have produced a flyer“Get Involved: Connecticut Tree Projects and Organizations.”
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Commemorative Print of the Hopkins-Broad Street Buildings
The 1963 Commemorative Print of the Hopkins-Broad Street Buildings
Gale, ’98, has produced beautiful copies of Helen Hazelton’s print
which was originally created for the commemoration of the school’s 325th
Anniversary in 1963. Ms. Gale is the owner of Hartford
Prints, her studio at 56
Arbor Street, where she has an after-school program for HPHS students.
still available for purchase as a donation to the HPHS Archive
Fund, the fund used to restore and conserve the collections
in the HPHS Museum & Archive.
prints are unframed and measure 14” x 14.” The color choices are as
Blue ink on smooth off-white paper. $25
Blue ink on textured white paper. $25
Silver ink on blue paper. $75
you would like to reserve one, please email email@example.com
or call the Museum phone: 860
695-1405 to arrange details. Unfortunately,
we cannot do mailings.
Views of the
Renovated Hartford Public High School
original 1883 Owl, carved in the studio of Albert Entress in Hartford,
was removed from the building during the renovations in April, 2006.
The 1883 Owl is a rare piece. Although many figures have been carved in brownstone, carvings of animals and birds are quite rare. Because of its age and the porosity of the stone, our Owl is too fragile to be returned to the exterior of the building. Thus, replicas have been provided for the gables.
Finally, on January 6, 2010, the Owl and his 1963 pedestal were placed high on the south wall of the new main lobby. After 126 years, he has finally come inside.
HPHS has Three Academies. Each has its own office and faculty
Nursing Academy: David Chambers, Principal
Engineering & Green Technology: Michael Maziarz, Principal
Law & Government: Principal
The Main Number for the school: 695-1300
Webmaster of this Site: firstname.lastname@example.org
The HPHS Museum & Archive
The HPHS Museum & Archive is a Unique Feature of the Renovated HPHS. It is the Only One of Its Kind in a Public High School. The Collections Include: Antique School Furniture, Paintings, Photographs, Statuary, and Historical Documents.
There are a number of surplus classbooks available for some years.
If you are interested in a classbook or would like to visit the Museum, please contact Mr. Williams by email or telephone. There are no regular hours when the Museum is open, but generally a visit can be arranged on week-days. Closed in July and August.
Museum telephone: 695-1405
Looking into the Archive
Entry of Alexander into
The Joseph Hall Observatory and Charles W. Walker, Jr. Planetarium
Joseph Hall, Principal of the
The building which Keller designed stood at
The observatory housed the Alvan Clark telescope, a fine instrument
produced by the firm of Alvan Clark and Sons in the 1880’s. Clark
began creating telescopes in
The observatory and telescope would have been lost if it had not been
for the combined efforts of students and faculty who worked to have them
preserved. In an effort which began in 1958, teachers Harold W. Gale,
Charles W. Walker, and students
Ernest Mackinnich, ’65, William Domler, ’65, Tom Walsh, ’60, and
Donald C. Johanson, ’61, succeeded in saving the observatory and
telescope from the wrecking ball. The
observatory and telescope were placed atop the new Forest Street
building in 1963.
In the mid-1960’s a planetarium was added to the school.
Charles W. Walker, a science teacher appointed to direct the
planetarium, developed interesting programs which were presented to the
school community for over twenty years.
In particular, the planetarium was popular with elementary school
teachers who brought their classes to HPHS for planetarium shows.
Unfortunately, both the Joseph Hall Observatory and the Charles W.
Walker Planetarium fell into disuse in the 1980s, victims of budget cuts
at the Hartford Board of Education.
However, during the recent renovations the observatory dome was
It would be to the school system’s benefit and a plus to the City of
Amit Chowdhury of 4Biz360.com in Plainville generously gives his time and assistance to help maintain this website. We are very grateful to learn from his expertise and we highly recommend him for any website planning you may have.
Comments? Contact the Webmaster at: email@example.com